About Global Programs
Iowa State University formally began its international development and outreach activities in 1945 with the founding of the Iowa State College Tropical Research Center in Guatemala. In 1961, an office responsible for overseeing international activities was opened, but it was not until July of 1973 that the Global Programs office was officially established in the College of Agriculture and Life Sciences.
Since then, the Global Programs office, along with ISU departments and centers, has been engaged in international research and development activities in over 40 countries throughout the world. International involvement has served the needs of both ISU and cooperating countries. International programs have provided professional enrichment and continuing education for faculty and staff and have enhanced the education of many students. At the same time, they have provided educational programs for hundreds of international participants. Global opportunities for students through CALS Study Abroad have also added to the scope of programs and services provided.